21 August 2026

Backstory for Myself

If I assume a backstory
for myself, will I be happy?

Like a village I was supposed
to have grown up in,
a father who taught me
how to fix fishing nets,
a mother who waited by 
the window every evening.

Perhaps I need something 
I can point to when someone 
asks why I am the way I am.
Like a childhood I don't 
clearly remember.

Like how I was once a 
reckless boy who ran away 
from something and found 
everything, or how a quiet 
child who learned too early 
that leaving was easier 
than staying.

Perhaps there was a girl 
I loved before I knew what 
love was, and perhaps she 
left with enough sadness
to explain everything I 
do now.

Perhaps it would be more
convenient if I were a 
shepherd, who lost his 
parents early and later 
self-taught singing by 
rehearsing to the sheep.

Every self-inflicted wound
would have a sheepish origin 
that way. Every habit would 
have a nomadic elevation.

Every passing moment 
of loneliness would have 
been simply playing flute to 
the flock in the name of 
character development,

and it would have been 
perfect if I had attained 
low-key enlightenment by 
a hut while the sheep 
ate grass unnecessarily.

But alas! I wasn't born 
in a fishing village.
My parents are alive.
No lover left me with 
crippling pain and the 
sheep I wish to have as 
emotional support are 
often juicy mutton on 
my plate.

So here I am reclined on
a chair with legs on top of
the table. Pen in a hand 
with blank pages that 
stare back.

I overthink all the 
possibilities to make my 
present version happy, 
but the only respite seems 
to be a pretentious cup 
of black coffee.

But the ghost of my 
overly concerned mother 
knows what I need is a
good cup of tea and deep
down I know mom's chai
makes me happy.