16 June 2018

A Book with a Bad Cover

The silver jubilee celebration that had gathered hundreds of alumni was over that evening. The nostalgic aura that was all over the place for two days was now a victim of the Sunday evening that was paving its way to the rigid Monday morning. Some had to attend college, others their jobs. Some had to catch a train to Bangalore, others, a bus to elsewhere. I was in the league of the guys headed to Bangalore in a train to attend my college.

It had been a year since I had joined college and my looks were nowhere close to a college guy. Also, it was not the first time I had encountered a situation that had put me in an awkward scenario- like the one I’m going to narrate- about which I don’t really complain.

I was in my usual rags. A knapsack, earphones tucked in I boarded the Channamma Express. As I was searching for my berth, my eyes caught a familiar face. As I approached him, I thought he must be Hanumanthgouda Patil, a senior four years older to me. I paused my music, removed my earphones and said- Hi anna, I suppose you’re from navodaya. Hanumanthgouda anna right?

He- Yes. Indeed. I remember you from yesterday. You’re from which batch?

Me- 18th batch. Ashok sir’s son’s batch mate. Four years junior to you.

He- Oh! Nikhil’s batch. Which college?

Me- (with pride) MSRIT.

He- (in a suspicious tone) Rammaiyaa? Bangalore?

Me- (bit surprised) yeah.

He- studying diploma there?

Me- No. Engineering. Mechanical branch.

He- (suspiciously) management seat?

Me- got it through CET (Common Entrance Test).

He- (surprised) what was your CET ranking?

Me- 1578

He- Good ranking.

Me- thanks anna.

He- (relaxed) who was your batch topper?

Me- me.

He- (with a convinced look) what did you say your name was?

Me- Anna, Warsimakram.

He- (grinning) so you’re the guy on the board.

After another brief conversation about some random stuff, I bid him adieu. The TC had allotted me an AC berth, seems I was lucky.

Again, the earphones in, volumes up, I went on to search my berth.


(Don't be too much inspired. Warsimakram is my good old friend who hangs with me. He is also unemployed. Yo!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Gap in Your Name

Your parents fought hard to Settle on a common name for you After your birth. As a compromise your dad Prefixed you secretly after his ex. C...