07 June 2018

The Bhang Experience

Two years back I enjoyed Holi in Delhi. I was attending coaching classes for civil service examination in Sriram's, in old Rajinder Nagar (ORN). I had found refuge in IARI, PUSA campus. The reason being, it was near ORN, I'd few friends and food in the campus was great. As the college campus has good number of students from different states, the food arrangements are made made accordingly. I was in Andhra mess since the Kaveri mess was occupied to the fullest capacity. The 'Kaveri mess' where food was served to students from Karnataka, served delicious food. Occasionally I had food there too as I'd few friends there.

I had some vague idea about the Holi celebration in Northern India. Specially the Bhang factor in the celebration held my curiosity the most. As Holi was approaching, I was inquiring more about things related to bhang with my friends and seniors. Many said bhang will be served in the mess itself. I never knew what I wanted was available without an ounce of an effort. I wanted to have at least some bhang on holi and I was badly waiting for it.

On the day of holi in the breakfast itself bhang was served. It was mixed in banana shake and served. I'd two glasses of it at about 8.30 in the morning. There wasn't any difference. Now that was unexpected. There wasn't any kick even after an hour of running around applying colors and dancing. I was disappointed. My mess served very dilute version of bhang I thought. I asked my friend if there's bhang in Kaveri mess and I couldn't wait until he took me to his mess. This time I took a bottle of 1000ml capacity to fill it up as a backup. Besides having the bottle filled, I'd two glasses of it and said, chal 'Rock Kardenge'.

Again after an hour or so nothing seemed to kick in. Even my friend became furious about it. I obviously didn't had any idea how bhang works, neither did he. Then he said, let's finish the bottle. The tables had turned, I was desperate, both gulped the bottle. Seems there wasn't any grace of god on us and this time too nothing surprised me.

Holi celebration in the campus became standstill around 10.30 am. Still there was unused colour and the beast inside me wanted to dance to some DJ badly. Upon all of this, bangh was not doing it's work and campus milieu seemed bit lackadaisical. It was long since I'd done something crazy. So, to let loose myself, I decided to go to ORN. On the way, I went to a friend's room to pull him in the crowd. We both slowly got dissolved in different crowds on our way. While going through the streets people threw water balloons from the top floors of buildings, in distance there was crowd and sound of a DJ, seems that was the day's calling. It was a splendor.

It didn't take long for us to dance to the beats along with a mad crowd. Mingling with small factions, sometimes boys, sometimes girls, the show went on. After dancing for an hour or so a kind of restlessness started to take over me. After a while my consciousness started blinking. Still, I was perfectly normal and dancing. Seems it was time and crowd started to disperse. Me and my friend started our return journey by walk. After walking for a while I felt dizzy and couldn't walk properly. My sight was blurry, I could grasp glimpses of what's going around. He took my hand around his shoulder to keep me moving. I was like a patient, a sack with little life left.

He made me sleep in his room. Covered in colorful filth, I was dead asleep for two hours. After that I woke up cursing the bhang with the same blinking consciousness, which was manageable. Since i was not having cellphone, I'd to go to my room otherwise my roommate have gone nuts over my disappearance. After having some food I felt alright to walk to my room. I walked 2 kilometers with no money in the pocket. After a while the dizziness started maybe due to tiredness. However, with a difficult walk I reached home by 6 pm. The next morning when I was awake, it was 6 in the evening. Can't forget the wtf expression on my face. There were tens of missed calls and sms. I was still a bit dizzy and hungry. Nothing else mattered except some more sleep. Again, I buried my face in my pillow.



1 comment:

Gap in Your Name

Your parents fought hard to Settle on a common name for you After your birth. As a compromise your dad Prefixed you secretly after his ex. C...