22 August 2026

Politics in Plate

The students have 
gone on a protest at 
Jantar Mantar, but my 
coffee is not perfect.

A bridge has collapsed
in Morbi, twenty dead,
but I see two kilos more
on my weighing scale.

I have bread to pick up
and eggs to buy,
but damn the Iranians-
why are they passive
in the news headlines?

The kebabs in my new 
air fryer were promising.
One of my classmates
got a bigger package.
Manipur is still burning
and the Education Minister
refuses to resign.

It was supposed to be a 
drought year, but it's 
continuously pouring here.
My undies are not drying.

Liberals in this country,
my foot. Sometimes,
I just want to paint my 
nerve endings saffron, 
and become stupid,
foolish, absolutely blind.

Not because I believe 
everything they tell me,
but because believing 
in nothing is exhausting 
too.

There is something
almost peaceful about 
reducing the world to 
the size of your own 
plate-

One can eat without 
thinking about famine 
in Gaza. Sleep without 
thinking about epidemic 
in Africa.

What laxury it is to scroll 
past a burning state because 
the algorithm has already 
found a better reel.

Maybe that's what politics 
eventually becomes-
not choosing what is right,
but choosing which 
suffering you can afford 
to notice today.

Anyway, maybe I can switch
to jaggery for weight loss.
The country can wait.
It's protected by the ancient 
wisdom of scriptures anyway.