tenth class, as I returned
from the farm, Mom said,
someone has come
to see you.
Then I was wrapped in
a new saree, powder was
put on my face,
some ornaments around
the neck and on ears.
They asked me to take
tea to the guests.
I was nervous.
Someone asked me my name.
Another asked me to turn
around. I fumbled a bit.
I didn't know they were
inspecting my body.
They must been
impressed though,
as it followed a series
of events over the next
few weeks-
a huge gatherings,
elaborate rituals,
visits to temples and
big big talks on how to
behave.
Then suddenly there was
an ugly man, who they
said was my husband.
He climbed upon me to
hump me like a hungry dog.
I liked it a bit i guess.
maybe that's why I was
punished with four kids.
The eldest one is about five,
and she asked me just now.
"What's marriage?"
I take a breath. I sigh.
I look back at of series
of hazy, chaotic events-
A body wrapped in a
new saree to a man taking
control of it.
I wonder if this was the
first pause I took from
that day?
Anyway, I don't seem to
have any answer to that
question.
So, I look at her and
ask myself the same
question-
What's marriage?